Another reason for
sounding artificial and 'actory' is faulty phrasing.
The only pauses in
speech; to find the right word or special emphasis.
There are no
periods or commas when we talk.
Learn the words subject to subject, not
line by line. In character forget words, and think objective.
lines meaning of words words
with your whole
are going, use your voice
and don't bury dialogue trying to be natural. Use
don't mumble. How to make it special, how to illuminate it. As an actor
be a chef, be decorative.
- Any line can be said a thousand ways.
- Behavior is more
important than dialogue. Radio is dead.
- In acting a scene an actor can't think the story
- Clarity of words that is what writers want, allow the
dialogue to come out, don't disappear.
- Dialogue are only noises we
make. We don't mean what we say. Understand the audience.
- Dialogue doesn't fit
- Dialogue has certain
- Dialogue is chatter. People
don't say what they mean.
- Dialogue is minor. What
is more important is behavior.
- Dialogue is not a statement
- Dialogue on both sides of
- In a scene dialogue can't just
be loud and soft only.
- Dialogue: You don't know
the lines coming. Deal with each moment.
opposites from dialogue.
- Don't depend on dialogue,
behavior is the story.
- Don't get into the dialogue.
- Don't go on a trip of dialogue
for past events. Don't play words for value. Stay with objective
at present times.
- Don't just start playing dialogue.
- Don't make a heart
breaking speech in a heartbreaking manner.
- Don't be playing the dialogue
not telling the story.
- As an actor you can't reveal that you learned the
dialogue. The scene will come out wrong if audience can tell.
- Don't run dialogue
- Don't sit and wait for dialogue.
Keep thinking your objective.
- Don't take dialogue
entirely literally for choices.
- Don't think dialogue, think
- Don't whisper with breathe. Writers get mad if
breathy; actor must be articulate play
dialogue with resonate.
- During a performance
the actor must not think of the story
or think about the dialogue, but only think objective.
- Explore the moment, it's about behavior not
- Every moment has a beginning, middle, and end. Then
dialogue will have meaning.
- Forget dialogue. Actor has
learned it now forget it.
- How you play each moment is important not
- If you understand the dialogue, you'll know how to say it.
Let the emotion you choice for the character color the words.
- Inside the four
walls. Acting is in a controlled
obsession. Do not think the dialogue, think intention. What you want to accomplish. Exclusion
to everything else. It's a discipline.
- It's easier to talk dialogue:
let it go.
- Learn to act without the
- It is wrong to only go with mood of
that is elocution, that is bull sh*t.
- Modern acting: Action precedes dialogue.
- More to it than just dialogue...
- Never be mislead by the dialogue.
- Never change the dialogue, however the actor
can find behavior.
- Never think the words.
- No big dramatic scene: Trick: run the
- Not dialogue, but behavior.
- No dialogue, just behavior
take your time. Never change the dialogue. Can find
- People coping with difficult situation. A whole person in
Reactions, just not
dialogue. It's about behavior.
- Play the values, not the
- Play the values, don't wait for dialogue,
we go by what we see.
- Playwright: sees a
result in his head, applies it into dialogue. We can't
know how he staged it.
- Scene is not about dialogue.
- Scene must start before dialogue.
(This is an angry lady, have her packing, throwing things.)
- Silences is your part to act.
Complete the silences. Don't play the dialogue,
complete the silences.
- Sloppy diction; actor swallowing words,
he thinks audience knows words.
- Speak clearly. Simple, clear, clean. Too much means
insecurity of actor. Use charm and good posture.
- Stay with one emotion.
You can't go the way the dialogue goes.
- Stop acting dialogue.
- Story telling
has to be behavioral. Movies are all about behavior, play it through, not just
- Tell a story.
Not dialogue but behavior.
- There are no periods.
- There was no shape to
scene. Dialogue was just loud and soft
- Understand all dialogue.
- We are talking about what to do when there is no
dialogue. And that is where you have to have self, a person,
your own person. The character's person.
- What is it about? Look under the dialogue.
- What people say is a lie, dialogue
is not a statement of fact.
- Writer gives story,
character and dialogue. Actor then gives it life.
Remember to not act dialogue.
- Wrong: controlled; pretending to be out of control. Can't be
planned behavior. The unexpected, don't think the dialogue;
Don't think words.
- You don't know the lines
coming. Deal with each moment.
- Character suffering, don't just make
- Comedy change your
concept. Dilemma greater. Don't play humor of
dialogue. Approach to the man hole.
- Comedy: Don't "walk" on
- Comedy has to be reaction,
just not dialogue.
- Comedy is all opposite
of what you say.
- George Abbott. All dialogue
must be understood in comedy.
- The actors were busy yelling the dialogue
to be funny. Instead, you must have heighten people,
real and with difficulties (real problems).
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."