Actors picked for a part: not what they
really are, not what they look like but what they appear like.
- Best interested in the essence.
- Essence of scene: (To show
I'm in control and he is a follower), with emotion and
- Find the essence of an
actor, go by what the story requires.
- Finding out what is the essence.
- How to find a scene. When
watching a movie, watch for essence of what they are
doing, that makes it real. Don't try and copy a scene.
- Look for the quality of the man, the essence.
Perceive what is quality of people being cast.
- Look on forms of vases. Greek. Full of symbolism down to
sculptures, paintings, from life, not street gestures. Each one has an attitude, figures, essence of the human figure, not a
picture in bronze.
- Modern tragedy: they don't
have to look real, real in essence, any action is simple.
- Perceive what is quality of people being cast. Essence you emanate. Look
in the mirror. What is the essence? How have people
always reacted to me.
- Problem is: If I didn't hear dialogue,
I wouldn't know what the scene is about. A deaf audience
should understand. It's more than talking, not radio. What is essence
of scene: Behavior. Visually it lacks things that are entertaining.
- They don't have to look real,
real in essence, any action is simple. Modern Tragedy.
- We are not talking about what people really are, we are talking
about what they seem to be.
- When watching a movie, watch for
of what they are doing, that makes it real.
Don't try and copy.
- Your talent will work,
advanced you are will show.
set-up: Some are the clown. The square is the identification of audience.
Essence of all comedy: need to find the underlying basic joke throughout.
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."