Different choices of objectives and emotions in
comedy, you must make the mirror tilted, even distorted, no matter how
kooky, must have a basis in reality.
Comedy principle: audience won't laugh unless
they're sure nobody is really getting hurt.
Rule of thumb: any situation, decide what's
normal for that circumstance and then do the reverse.
Comedy is entirely based on opposites.
The basics of comedy.
Anything can be funny.
actor funny comedy human
Go for reality, then go for funny.
Has to be funny to watch. Don't play radio. It's behavior, that is what is funny.
- Actor (If you put your finger in
mouth) do it funny.
- A point of view, the way it
is twisted. Comedic point of view. Think what was funny.
Comedic of difficulty.
identification of characters: it ain't just
- Audience has to be very sorry for him, this is pathos, this is
sad. In places it is funny, but it is drama.
- Basic Joke: What's
funny about it?
- Can be funny and real.
- Comedy is about suffering, not just funny things.
- Comedy: Funnier by making
- Comedy must be funny to
- Cry funny.
- Don't be conscience funny.
- Don't do busy work. Think of something funny,
put it in right place.
- Don't get acrobatic to be funny.
- Don't go for all laughs, only
ones that are important; creditability. Don't try to
make it as funny as possible.
- Don't have to make everything funny.
More you sweat will irritate the audience.
- Don't play funny. Must be
serious about it. Believe in it. Can not kid it.
- Don't think funny.
- Don't try an act funny.
- Don't use characters as clowns. Don't sacrifice. What makes it
- Don't work so hard. The material
- Don't yell. Last
resource of actor is yelling. Yelling to a minimum. Yelling is never funny.
- Dream up funny things, then
make it work.
- Everybody has their own area of "funny".
- Find the funny in it.
- Find the joke. Underline
- Find what is funny about
- Find what is funny. What's
normal, don't do it.
- First problem: Don't try to be funny
- First problem: not funny,
because both were trying to be funny.
- Funny at the loss of humanity, laughter without substance. Modern Tragedy
- Funny is serious.
- Funny and creditable.
- Funny by sticking to the story or just making it funny.
- Funny is easy. You can play anything funny,
resist that. Make the people creditable.
Laughter is not any measure of success.
- Funny is not the first
part, funny is the second part.
- Funny not who throws pie,
but funny where pie lands.
- Funny with reality.
- Go for reality, then go for
- Going to be funny, you
first have to be credible.
- Have an idea, make it
- How to play funny?
- Humor of despair. Suffer in
grandiose to make it funny. Grand Opera.
- If everything is funny,
nothing is funny, you will wear audience
- If material is good, get it
out. If material is bad, invent stuff to make it funny.
- If you have to choice between
funny or real, choice real.
- If you hit cords; audience says that's what I had to go
- It has to be funny to
- Jewish funny = sad funny.
- Lay out the funny joke.
- Life is so funny,
because it is illogical.
- Look for funny, get to the
heart of audience, they feel for them.
- Look for what is funny.
- Make it look funny.
- Some actors are very funny,
but also real. The humanity of it.
- Never try to be funnier, never over act. Character
is in trouble.
- Normal reaction, do something opposite.
What makes it funny?
- Not only funny in concept,
but it has to look funny.
- Obvious, up front, how to find what is funny.
- Outrageous and funny.
- Play great comedy: deeply
- Playing the comedy: actor is in a state of mischief,
find what is funny.
- PRINCIPLE: don't go for all laughs,
only ones that are important; creditability. Don't try
to make it as funny as possible.
- Sad funny is the best kind
- Sensitive, beautifully sad funny.
- Still has to have combat
where the situation is funny.
- Start with everything real, instead of starting with everything
funny. Who am I. What's going on? Where am I. Solving
all the problems of reality. Real people then heighten.
- Stop acting funny. It is
serious work. Actor is in state of mischief.
- Study what your funny is:
How to play a joke. How to set up joke.
- Style: What is the main thrust?
- The best funny is sad funny.
- The intent, if you got something funny
leave it alone.
- The more you are in trouble the funnier
it is. That is the secret of comedy.
- Think funny to end up funny, understand life.
- To find what is funny
underneath - just not funny faces.
- Two con-men conning each other. Who is going to win.
Funny by itself isn't funny.
Real humans: funny.
- Underline funny thing about
- Understanding of humor: lesson in using body,
sense of gesture, some are funny, others
- Unusual is funny in picking
- What are the principles of Comedy. Understand the concept. Find
the humor, find what is funny.
- What is comic material: why is it funny?
Look for the basic joke. There are no new jokes.
- What is funny about scene?
- What's funny for character?
- What is funny, meaningful
person they don't want, a nutty person.
- What is most human, not what is funniest.
- What makes it funny: What attitude it has to be thought through: actor state of
- What is your funny? How do I make people
- When a funny interferes
with creditability, throw it out.
- When people do things in unison, it's funny,
that is why you avoid it in drama.
- Who is the right funny?
- Writer is objective, he is
- You can do funny things as
long as you suffer. Audience says I've been there
- You have a funny scheme,
then you have to make it work.
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."