is the story?
Develop scene into the right
Key of the
|what is the play about?
|who the audience is for?
The "key" is in the
writing. The author putting up signs.
involvement, the characters involvement, set the
- Audience doesn't know if he is going to save her or kill her.
- Do not play royal. Audience wants to see what happens behind
- Don't get into key of
- Entertain the audience. Key to
- Find the key.
- Get into the right key.
- Key to behavior. Choices.
- Key to drama is difficulty.
- Key to playing Mystery.
Manner is ordinary. Current of emotion hidden. Emotion is strong: but don't show it.
Surface is ordinary.
- Mystery: suspense in the key.
- One of those cases, "Key"
keep switching around.
- Rules of style:
Read material; what is the key?
Then make choices from what should it do to audience.
- The key: (everything young
is beautiful. Director has to have sensitivity, tell a story.
- The nature of the scene: she is suffering. Find the
key, find the right style.
- We demand the two characters colorful.
Dramatic conflict between the two. Don't stay in same
key throughout. You are an entertainer.
- Why it didn't work? Key:
- Rules of style: Read material; what is
the key? Then make choices
from what should it do to audience.
- Set the key. Humor, etc.
- Black Comedy: Weird, deal
with life. Can't play straight. Comedy opposites.
Key: Fun and nightmare. Don't go in and out of drama; soap opera. Need actors who are already off the wall.
- Get in key of comedy. Show bizz not a cathedral. Audience wants to see
- Key: people have to laugh
- Problem is: What is the key, you must
play it, it must amuse, heighten people, etc. Larger than life.
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."