always come out of character to take direction or instruct
Rehearsal in not only to improve
your performance, it's also to condition reflex.
scene staging think work in progress
- After rehearsal, just get
up and do it.
- All good acting look
like it was never rehearsed at all. Accidental, wonderful things will come out of it.
When posing, say: stop posing
- Blocking doesn't matter, just say where things are.
- Can't stiff people, return calls.
- Don't play as rehearsal,
(he doesn't know this place of hers). The awareness
isn't there. Make a series of discoveries.
- Don't rehearse things to do. Feel-think-do
technique will come up with things to do.
- Don't think how to do it during scene. Do it at
home. (A living moment.)
- During rehearsal try this with a scene partner: have emotion
and have objective, but don't use the words
in the scene. Instead, make up the words. This will help you come up
with behavior for the characters in the
- Everything has to be rehearsed.
- Find each character
- If some one can't do a scene the first time you ask and if they
still can't after a second time get someone else.
- Know everything for the first time, as if there was no
- Learn it, then you don't know what is going to happen: the lines, staging; almost like
amnesia. State of disconnected from what is rehearsed. "Between
the two trapeze". No recall, everything is unknown after rehearsal. Urgency.
- Life is accidental, not
- Make all preparation, then don't make preparation only with emotion and objective.
- Moving when you feel like it, don't do staging.
- Must resemble humanity. We
have never rehearsed the scene, we don't know what
will come next.
- No debates at rehearsal,
never argue. Practice: "Director is right."
- No recall, everything is unknown after rehearsal.
- Rehearsal can't be organized, must be spontaneous.
- Rehearse opposite. How would it go? If not being watched. Play the
- Rehearse, be careful, then
let's do it, let's forget it. Now I must play it. The moment
of truth, none of the preparation can show.
- Rehearse, moment by moment, explore like a bead
one at a time on a string.
- Rehearse: don't think how
well it's going to be.
- State of disconnected from what is rehearsed.
Between the two trapezes.
- Technical things: Can't mumble words in eating food. Teach
yourself to drink, eat, condition your body in
- Throw yourself into rehearsal.
- Try this: have emotion, have objective, but don't use words,
make them up.
- Working clean: Do everything
in specific order. Don't rehearse things to do. Think-feel-do technique will come up with things to do. Planning before; being the other person, then
don't plan when you start doing. "People are afraid to be ridiculous."
Rehearse: don't think how well it's going to be.
- Work out a prank on audience,
work out in rehearsal.
"In the end, it
can't look like acting."